I have just read a fascinating article suggesting that things that come in threes are ‘inherently funnier, more satisfying, or more effective than other numbers of things’. And so it is with pleasure that I present this triptych of felt artwork on the theme of Celebrating EC1. These pieces were created by primary and secondary students from three Islington schools and will be exhibited later this year alongside work from 2 other schools so watch out for the perfect fifth later this year.
Apologies for the break in blogging. Here are some images from a wonderful recycling themed day working with Year 2 pupils at a Hanwell School. Thanks to Gail from @eastsidelondon for her brilliant organisation.
More posts to follow but possibly in jumbled date order!
Teaching other teachers can be daunting but last week’s training session at Kew Gardens was a gentle and affirming experience. I team taught the session with my colleague Stuart Simler and we began with two warm up exercises to focus and encourage observation: blind drawings and desperate drawings in the dry tropics of the Princess of Wales Conservatory. Then onto some sgraffito, using black card and oil pastels which are applied thickly before scratching in details such as cactii spines and ridges with a sharp skewer. Finally, Stuart guided the group into the rainforest where they focused on outlines, tearing shapes and creating patterned layers in a range of papers to recreate the spiralling foliage of the wet tropics. During the plenary, feedback from our group was really positive and teachers reflected on aspects they’d enjoyed: the relaxed warm up sessions and using materials in a new way.
As the light faded at the end of the day this spectacular, handsome beast appeared by the Palm House – it turned out he was at Kew for a fashion shoot. Apparently he had died of natural causes at the Zoo
Happy New Year dear readers! Apparently cleaning a corner of your house, going on a local adventure or spending time with children can all stimulate creativity. Or perhaps send the kids on their own little adventure and forget about tidying up! This new year I wish you many creative and messy moments. Sometimes juggling elements of life can be quite hectic and here are some rather belated posts.
First to feature is Artsdepot, the undiscovered South Bank Centre of the North (well North Finchley). Last Autumn I was invited there to create some artwork with two Barnet Schools, inspired by an English National Opera rendition of Laika the Space Dog. Laika never survived the confines of her space shuttle but I worked with the children to reimagine a happier ending. They developed simple sketches and pastel drawings suggesting pitted lunar surfaces, aliens and strange plants, referencing desert plants and rocky landscapes we had spent time researching. I guided the children into transforming their drawings into experimental 3D pieces, felting around wire, plastic discs, bubble wrap and glass beads.
There are only a couple more days to catch the tail end of Creative Routes 2013 featuring a felted installation I’ve titled ‘Laika Escapes’. Many thanks to fellow artist educator Stuart Simler for these photos.
I’m also pleased to mention a project I ran in November on behalf of Eastside Educational Trust with St John of Jerusalem School in Hackney. 120 children each designed a face to represent diverse communities around the world and we felted these onto a woolly globe. Some fabulous volunteers supported me in this demanding feat to create artwork for the school’s International Week in a single day.
I’m thinking about other accessible felting methods for adults or children with poor dexterity so I’ve been playing around with felting scraps of commercial felt cloth onto needlepunch felt. I love using the negative shapes left over from previous projects. The one on the left is my daughter’s who’s always pleased to be my felting guinea pig. We discovered that assembling is great fun, but the felting itself is extremely tricky as some of the commercial felt is synthetic so it won’t become entangled with the woolly base. But I’m going to see if we can try again using tiny wisps of merino fleece to secure the blocks of colour.